Error: Category Server Unavailable
CyberPatrol • 22 June 2015
The "Category Server Unavailable" error usually indicates that a communication between your computer and our servers is being blocked or interrupted. This could be because of a 3rd party firewall installed on your computer, or a firewall built into your broadband router. If CyberPatrol cannot communicate with the category server to properly categorize a website, it will block the website for safety reasons.
Because there are many firewall manufacturers today, the instructions below are provided for Windows firewalls only. If you have a 3rd party firewall (Symantec/Norton, McAfee, ZoneAlarm, etc.), or a router, and you are not sure how to open/forward the ports, please contact the product manufacturer's Support team for assistance.
In addtion to cpserver.exe process, the ports that need to be opened/forwarded are:
1. Open the Windows Control Panel
2. Open Windows Firewall
3. Click on the Exceptions Tab along the top
4. Click on the Add Program button
5. Highlight headquarters and click OK
6. Click on the Add Program button again
7. Click on the Browse button and browse to C:\Program Files\CyberPatrol LLC\CyberPatrol
8. Highlight cpserver and click OK
9. Highlight cpserver in the list of programs and click OK
10. On the Exceptions tab, highlight cpserver and click on the add port button
11. Name will equal the first part of the servers above
12. Port Number, is the number after the :
As an example:
This would be the name: lookup1.cyberpatrol.com
This would be the port from the same line: 5353
1. Open Windows Firewall by clicking the Start and selecting Control Panel. In the search box, type 'firewall' and click Windows Firewall icon.
2. In the left pane, click Advanced settings. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide a confirmation.
3. In the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security dialog box, in the left pane, click Inbound Rules. In the right pane, click New Rule.
4. Follow the instructions in the New Inbound Rule wizard. You will need to add cpserver.exe located in C:\Program Files\CyberPatrol LLC\CyberPatrol
Another option is to configure CyberPatrol to ignore these types of errors altogether:
1. Click on Start > All Programs > CyberPatrol > Headquarters.
2. Click 'Open HQ' button and log in with your password.
3. Click on 'Extended Features' > 'Behavior Options'.
4. Check the box to “Allow all access when categorization servers are unavailable” and click 'Save'.